What Causes 18 Wheeler Accidents?

Accidents involving 18-wheelers, while not as common as collisions between two cars, can cause much greater damage and involve very serious injuries. 18-wheelers are highly regulated, but unfortunately that does not always prevent trucking companies from employing cost-saving tactics that ultimately make sharing the road with 18-wheelers unsafe.

18According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the majority of 18-wheeler accidents are caused by driver error. Over half of the accidents caused by driver error involved drivers who were fatigued and/or taking prescription or over-the-counter medication.

Who Is Responsible?

In 18-wheeler accidents, the driver of the truck may be liable for your injuries. However, additionally, the trucking companies may also be liable. Contractors, employers and insurance companies might be required to pay damages for your injuries. Damages can include compensation for physical, emotional and financial losses that were caused by an accident with an 18-wheeler. This can include:

  • Medical bills
  • Physical therapy
  • Repairs to your car
  • Lost wages

This may sound complicated, but an attorney with experience knows how to navigate these types of cases. The Law Offices of Mark D. VanCleave, PLLC, can help you get the compensation you deserve in order to help you pay for your injuries and their follow-up care.

You Need Help Figuring Out An 18-Wheeler Accident

If you or someone you love has been injured in a collision with a commercial truck, you need an experienced trucking accident attorney to help you. There are many ways to gather evidence about an accident involving an 18 wheeler, and we can help. Reach out to Mr. VanCleave, a lawyer who has the experience and knowledge necessary to gather the necessary evidence about a car or truck accident to bring an effective injury claim.

Call 281-303-8800 or use our website to set up your free consultation in our Baytown, Texas, office. We welcome inquiries from people throughout Harris County, Chambers County and beyond. Clients from communities such as Highlands, Crosby and Channelview can start getting help today.